Monday, December 31, 2007

My New Year's Traditions

The New Year is upon us. I would like to share some of my traditions with you. Being from the Philippines, there are certain traditions that I have followed for my whole life. One of the most important traditions for me is to have thirteen different types of fruit in the house when the New Year begins. This will ensure that we will have a fruitful year in 2008. I was already out earlier today obtaining thirteen different fruits and here is the fruit of my labor (no pun intended).

Another tradition is to wear clothes that have polka dots on them. This also brings good luck to the person for the new year. At the stroke of midnight, we all make as much noise as possible (this is an American tradition as well). We put all our coins into metal pots and shake them vigorously so that they make plenty of noise. This tradition in the Philippines is to drive out the old spirits from the house so that new spirits can come in for the new year. We also have plenty of food and drink and we all have a good time in hopes of good times in the new year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tessie, your blog is very interesting. Not only do you look gorgeous, but have good articles that are inspiring and yum yum recipes. Please keep providing us with your insights and helpful hints.

Your friend,
May